Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"Why can't you be normal?"

How many times have I heard that sentence throughout my life?? "Why can't you be NORMAL?", always used a not so subtle putdown to whatever it was in reference too-"why can't you be like normal kids and play outside instead of sitting in your room reading too much?" "Why can't you act normal instead of having un-natural colored hair?" "Why can't you be like normal people and bake in the sun instead of looking like Elvira?" etc, etc, etc......
What IS normal? Apparently, it was nothing I was. As a child its painful to be considered an outsider, as an adult I laugh at people who say its not 'normal' for me to be ME.

I heard a profound statement yesterday that reminded me of all those years of feeling like some kind of weirdo "Normal people don't make history." HOW true is that??? Can you think of anyone who as made a name for themselves being part of the herd mentality? I can't. So if someone has ever said to you "why can't you be normal?" Thank them for reminding you of just how amazing YOU are.

Speaking of amazing people, I have to tell you all again how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE and HIGHLY recommend Alyson Stanfield's book "I'd Rather be in the Studio". If you are doing anykind of creative work, business or thinking about starting one do yourself a HUGE favor and go buy it!!!! Right now, go on- you can come back and read the rest of the post later. She is like the best friend we wish we all had-someone who challenges you and supports you at the same time, who knows what she's talking about and happy to share the info so you can be as successful as you want to be. I've read a TON of books about how to move forward as an artist, alot highly recommended that left me flat, alot ok, some pretty good and I can say from the bottom of my heart that this is the best of them all. Its a small $25 investment into yourself, and you are worth that!!!!

Today I conquered my fear of the propane torch and used it to solder bezels onto about 20 Wanderlust pendants. Went alot faster. My fear? that I'll blow the house up or or myself or something will burn down. I know its irrational but its my fear and I just punched it in the face LOL. I bought a torch for MAPP too that I hope comes soon so I can use that to do some rings I have in progress and need more heat.

Heres a pic of the raw pendants in dirty pickle...so much firescale.

5 comments:

whimseycreations said...

I had to laugh at your first comment about 'going out to play rather than reading'. I was a voracious reader as a child especially in the summer - I'd read 3 or 4 books a day. My mom would be right in front of me talking to me and I wouldn't hear a word - I was IN that book! I have a tee shirt that says something like "It's hard trying to act like a normal person every day!" LOLOLOL I'm going to look for that book - it sounds like a good one. Thanks!! Jill

TheSeaWithin said...

Look whose blog I found!

I've never felt normal and still don't. I'm glad I'm not.

I'm going to check out that book right now!

Saints and Sinners said...

Whimsey/Jill= so glad that hit a chord with someone else! I am glad to know I wasn't the only book freak kid out there LOL

Nadine-HI!!! I need to add you to my blog links too now!

hugs,
barbe

Persimmons Gal said...

Power to the not so normal people!

Saints and Sinners said...

AMEN Persimmons gal!!! LOL