Monday, August 18, 2008

Book Review: Naughty Secretary Club - Handmade Jewelry for the Working Girl



Its real hard to be unbiased when reviewing a book when A: the author is a friend and B: you have an unhealthy love/obssession for the subject matter and materials used. “ I have one word for this book and that word is - SQUEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the package as I was going out the door with Bettie (my chihuahua). I saw the return address and quickly ripped it open as we were walking down the street, and MAN! it was love at first sight. Seriously, how could I NOT love it?? The bright colors, the aqua vintage typewriter, laughing mannequin with perfect red cat eye lasses-SQUEE!!!! I got thru the first couple of pages and decided that Bettie & I had to make an emergency pitstop at Starbucks so I could sit and go thru this book right there and then.

It is a virtual kitsch explosion, packed with ideas, tips and tricks on how to turn vintage junque into wearable art. And just LOOK at all that cute stuff she finds!!!! You just CAN"T find it in SF anymore, everythings been picked over and over like a sweater that keeps on knitting, and knitting, and knitting, and knitting....but I digress, luckily Jennifer isnow selling kits for some of the projects in the book so desolate thrift junkies like me can get a quick fix. I may have to book a trip to Austin to go thrifting sometime soon, seriously.

One of my fave projects is the "Thank you for Calling" bangle because I think every vintage girl loves those purses too! The project is so simple, yet so very very perfect. I will be making one or 5 this week, where is that darn plug in phone of ours anyway????? Also, the "Tied Down Brooch" and the "Specs Appeal Necklace" I thought were ultra-super clever. I can not WAIT to see what she pulls out of her technicolor hat next.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, even if your tastes are on the conservative side you will learn alot about making something to fit your personal style.
Check out Jen's Blog for more info about the book -she also has a list of places that are giving them away in contests and more!

2 comments:

Jennifer Perkins - Naughty Secretary Club said...

I heart you for writing this and for making it your bead blogger link this week. man you rule.

Barbe Saint John aka Saints & Sinners® said...

Thank you!!!!!!! I really love it!