Monday, October 27, 2008

Marketing Monday -Contacting New Venues



Todays Horoscope says: You feel somewhat fragmented today as the strong wills of optimistic Jupiter and pessimistic Saturn are being pushed and pulled by energetic Mars. You intuitively know now that whatever you begin will be brought to fruition as a reward for your hard work. There's much to do and there's no better time to get started.

That is so dead-on for me today! Its Marketing Monday, but so far I've spent the morning burning mix cd's. Also realized that I don't have a ton of cds on my computer so I'm ripping a bunch to add them to my mp3 player. Current album playing/ripping Deadbolt-Zulu Death Mask

I won't spend my day with music, I'll do marketing work too. I'm in the Mixed Plate Gift Guide-YAY! Its live now, so you can go look at all the wonderful stuff up in it. I will also be sending out some inquiries to various stores and galleries, resize photos and things to add to the website, photograph some new jewelry and loads of other little things I want to get done today. Contacting new venues is a vital part of Marketing Monday and I've been lax on it since before I went to the UK. So I really need to step that up!!!

Today's Marketing Monday-Contacting New Venues:

Contacting a new venue can be nervewracking, but if you want to sell your product you have to do it. Here's a few things to get you started:

  1. Before contacting store or gallery, make sure to visit it first to know if your stuff will fit in. You can do this by looking at the website or physically going to the store. It will save you alot of heartache to know what the store sells so you don't waste your time or the shops time if its not a match. For example: you do antique style calico bears but contact a store that sells modern Japanese anime toys. You can imagine they wouldn't be keen on carrying something that doesn't go with the theme of the store.
  2. Get the name of the manager or buyer and send them the info (if it is an out of town place) or make an appointment to bring in your stuff. DO NOT JUST DROP BY WITH YOUR PRODUCT!!! Shops are busy, they don't have time to stop and devote their full attention to you. I can't tell you how many times as a retail manager, people just dropped in off the street with stuff that didn't fit in or at the most busy times and expected me to look a their stuff. You want a distraction free time so the buyer can devote their FULL attention to your product, why sell yourself short by just dropping in
  3. Be fully prepared to make the sale at the appointment. Have everything priced, a list of wholesale/retail prices, receipt book, business cards, any marketing material or displays that goes with the product,samples, etc... Again, showing up without looking the professional you are is just bad and couldn't hinder sales.
  4. Be persistant! You will get alot of No's, or Maybe's. It's not personal, so don't get upset. Keep plugging away at it and you'll see success!

3 comments:

Cyndi L said...

Oh, the bane of everyone's existence, making "sales" calls! Thanks for the tips :-)

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

it is the bane of our existance, isn't it LOL
I wish it were easier to do, truly I do!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks for the good tips, Barbe!