Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Trying new things


Every other week I get a box of organic produce from farmfreshtoyou.com.

I love getting the boxes, like a kid at Christmas time. It's cheaper then the store and they bring it right to you. I've gotten things I've never eaten like Fuyu Persimmons (I've only had the other kind), chard (who knew it was SOO GOOD!)m broccoli Rabe (not so great) and fresh beets (which I love but always buy precooked). Its great to try stuff I wouldn't buy on my own. When you sign up for the service they ask if there is anything you definately don't want, which I think is a nice thing because some people are picky.

Today I got something I am pretty sure I put on my 'do not send' list-Fennel. I've had fennel once, and hated it. I really dislike Anise flavoring at the time and thats what Fennel is. I love its soft, feathery green fronds but that black licorice taste has never won me over. However, now that one bulb has landed in my lap, I am willing to give it a try. I just found this recipe online I think I'll try this week.
If you have a good Fennel recipe, please send it to me. I'm open to learning to love this veggie!

5 comments:

Carmi said...

What a brilliant concept...fresh food delivered....no choosing needed.
My dad loved fennel....they eat it raw around the holidays.
I myself do not enjoy the "green family" but I like any vegetable that is orange.

CatHerder said...

cook the broccoli raab with garlic, olive oil in a fry pan covered till tender...if you like you can add a bit of chicken broth as well and cook it down....mix with cooked cavatelli...its yummy when cooked correctly, not bitter.....i love fennel in salad sliced really thin

ladylinoleum said...

I am feeling the need to sign up for this service! Your fennel is beautiful...

Bead-Mused said...

Hey there ~
Here's surf-by post for you. We brush the fennel with olive oil, grill it, salt & pepper to taste. We do the same with onions, squash/zuchini, and/or eggplant. Even the kids like it. I do realize we have a much longer outdoor grilling season and we have not had much luck with the indoor grill. But if you have a nice mild day this week, you might consider grilling!
Hugs
Theresa

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Thanks Ladies! today is the day to cook the fennel. I wish we had access to the outside to do some grilling=that always makes food better! LOL