Thursday, January 08, 2009

Am I too dark??


Atlantean Charm -NFS

As I am going through pics of jewelry to use, I'm wondering if I am coming off as too "dark". My favorite pics are the jewelry with bones in them. Most of my color schemes are dark metals, dark colored beads, and themes like unrequited love, vampyres and things that go bump in the night.
I personally have never thought of my work as scary at all, but maybe it is to some? I've always thought of it as bittersweet rather than being fascinated with the macabre. What do you think?


Have you looked at your own work recently and wondered if it comes off totally different than what you picture? Theres an exercise that you can do if you are unsure, you ask 10 people to write 5 words that they feel describe about your work. I think asking people who aren't good friends will give you better results.

9 comments:

velmalikevelvet said...

Those pieces are brilliant, and that descriptive exercise is a great idea - gonna give it a try. Thanks! -v-

Tammy said...

That's an interesting exercise. I think of my work is a petite and easy to wear everyday type of stuff that's a little bit of classical and a little bit of trendy mixed together, but it never occurred to me that someone might think it comes off totally different.

I think you have a unique perspective, so go with it!

Melissa J. Lee said...

NO! I love the top piece - the bejeweled hand holding the nail. Completely brilliant. Love the memento mori toothy earrings, too.

velmalikevelvet - Oh my Gosh, is that a real Knitty Hallowig? I love it!

Bead-Mused said...

I love your work. Dark? Dark is in right now. Vampires are in right now. If I were to describe your work it would be mysterious, intriguing, fantastic (as in "fantasy like"), regal and elegant. It's just not meant for the average mortal!

Theresa

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Thanks girls!

Velma-I'd say your yarns were color expolosions, exuhberant, bold, luscious and flavorful.

Thanks Melissa and yes Velma is wearing a Hallowig!! I can't knit well enough to make one obut I really want one!!

Thanks Theresa! I just need the Twilight kids (and adults!) to buy my stuff LOL.

BellaKarma said...

Your jewelry are pieces of art! They are mind-blowing! Keep creating your calling.

Bead-Mused said...

Well Barbe, we'll just have to find a way to direct them to your website!!

Theresa

Tecu'Mish said...

No way are you too dark. I find your pieces unique and extremely interesting! I want those great earrings, I looked at them just the other day...unfortunately, I just don't have the bucks now....do you do layaway?
Regards,
Tecu'Mish

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Theresa-you are so right!! but HOW LOL

Thanks Tecu'Mish. I do offer layaway too-just email me and we can work it out, no prob!