Saturday, April 18, 2009

Beads - Beads- Beads!


Since I am constantly saying "I have no beads to work with" I went over to Oakland today to shop at the Northern California Bead Society show. The "Bead Bazaar" seemed a bit smaller than in the past, but its always a good place to buy and today was no exception. The weather is AMAZING today, and Rob went with me so he could go to the "boy smell store" aka the gaming store which is across the street from the convention hall.

I didn't buy a ton but got some goodies! From the top: African recycled record beads & chunky coral from my friend Carter at Bead Trust, black tourmaline crystals, fat baroque pearl (splurge!but I can't find the reciept to see who the seller is), mixed dark pearls, aquamarine nuggets, more pearls (I am on a pearl kick right now), amazonite beads and vintage glass all from Juliets Beads, and last but certainly not least is a bunch of vintage Lucite from Baubles & Beads. All that lovely Lucite is for the 'secret project'. I went the show specifically to look for solid colored, plain beads for the secret project but it wasn't easy to find! Then I see the mother lode and in plastic too!!! Be still my heart! I WANTED to take the entire booth home, but only chose things I needed like a good fiscally responsible girl. I hadn't been to their store in Berkeley, but needless to say I'll be Barting across the bay alot more frequently now! I also got to chat with Gail Crosman-Moore and I MEANT to get back and buy from her. I had to find my solid beads then shop for myself, but I got busy talking with others, got super hungry and had to eat then didn't make it back in. Dang me! She had some crazy cool metal pieces and beadcaps.

The only negative to the day was a woman who was going around shoplifting. They caught her at one booth I was at and she came back and returned the tiny bag of jumprings or whatever it was. Then I was talking to 2 other vendors about it and they also had been watching that woman as she attempted to steal from them as well. What is wrong with people?! The real shocker was that she only stole small $$$ amount stuff. If you are gonna steal and risk the humiliation and possible jail sentence-steal BIG! Steal the Hope diamond not a $3 pack of jump rings or a $4 strand of opal glass.....
We had a great deli sandwich then stopped for a cupcake. It's one of those days I REALLY wish we had a patio or an outdoor space to enjoy the warmth and sunshine. Tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer so I may pack a bag and go to the park and work on stuff with Bettie. Hope you all are having a wonderful Saturday as well!

3 comments:

Melissa J. Lee said...

Oooh, what a lovely haul. I particularly like the black tourmaline. Looks like it was a fun day!

Jessica said...

Love those record beads! I bet you'll make some great stuff with those! Totally lame about the shoplifter.

Sophie said...

Those aquamarine nuggets and pearls look fabulous! A great way to work with those weird 1 or 2 left over beads from beading is swage chain, which I sell for around $4 for about 39 inches. It's great if you crimp those left over beads together at different lengths on swage chain (don't worry swage is thin enough to thread through pearl and crystal) http://www.stonesandfindings.com/images/items/2/Sterling-Silver-Beading-Chain-Swage-