Thursday, April 30, 2009

Beautiful Bronze from Art Beads


copyright Artbeads.com

A couple of weeks ago I got this beautiful bronze pendant from ArtBeads.com. It has birds on a branch and says "All happiness is the joy of achievement." The quote is by Franklin Delano Roosevelt. I love this quote, so I had to get this one but they have others I liked just as much.
Joy: "Joy is not in things, it is in us.", The Heart Has Reasons -"The heart has reasons that reason cannot know" and Dreams - "Let go of the past, and go confidently in the direction of your dreams" which is quote by Thoreau. Did I ever mention one of my oldest friends does living history as Thoreau? One of the coolest jobs on earth I think.

Anyway, this one spoke to me the most, so that's what I ordered. It's really lush in person and I had fun making this necklace. Want to make one for yourself? just hop on over to Artbeads and get a pendant.


I started stringing beads but decided I wanted bring out more of the nature feel of the pendant so I used bits of wood twigs as part of the neckchain. I wound brass wire around them to mimic the detail on the top of the pendant and added Czech glass leaves and flowers for color. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It's simple but not boring and very wearable. I'd love to see what you create with some of the wonderful jewelry making supplies from Artbeads!

13 comments:

Rhonda Scott said...

Love the quote and the necklace is beautiful. Very earthy and natralistic.
Rhonda Scott

Margot Potter said...

Absolutely stunning, Barbe. I love the glimpse into your design process.

That's one of my favorite quotes:
"They heart has its reasons, that reason knows nothing of." Blaise Pascal

Cheers,
Madge

Jean said...

Oh Barbe! This is SO Pretty! It lifts my heart! I want to make one too!

xox jean!!!

Tammy said...

I like how you incorporated found objects - the twigs - in with the wire and other components.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Ooh, lovely! I'm with Tammy - the twigs are a stunning touch.

Andrew Thornton said...

Wow! That's a wonderful piece you've made. I really like how unique it is and how you've repeated the motif from the beautiful bronze piece throughout the necklace. Awesome! Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see more, More, MORE!

Heather Powers said...

I love that pendant so much. I like the natural elements mixed in with the wire, very clever design!

*melanie* earthenwood studio said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous pendant and I love what you did with it! The way you wrapped the twigs with the wire and glass leaves and flowers. It has a very organic feel. Very nice!

Linda said...

Beautiful! Your integration of the pendant with the necklace is wonderful!

Susan said...

I love this design. I love the twigs. If you go to my April 16th post, you can see what I did with the ArtBead Pink Floyd Pendant.

http://awalkinthepark-susan.blogspot.com/2009/04/breathe.html

pearl jewelry said...

That is a truly inspiring piece. I am new to this game and still learning a lot and this gives me a lot to think about. That same type of wrap may be interesting around a leather cord. I am going to give it a try anyway.

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Thanks everyone!

Pearl, you should definately try things and play around. Its the best way to learn and stretch your creativity!

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

What a GORGEOUS piece you created, Barbe!!! I LOVE the "natural" feel you gave it!!!!! VERY cool!