Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Book Review: Ancient Modern: Polymer Clay & Wire Jewelry



Ancient Modern: Polymer Clay + Wire Jewelry by Ronna Sarvas Weltman
Paperback: 136 pages
Publisher: Interweave Press (June 1, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1596680970
ISBN-13: 978-1596680975

I was blown away when I saw the cover of this book and HAD to have it. The look of this necklace reminds of when the movie Bell, Book & Candle opens up, you see Gillian's shop full of African Statues and ethnic masks, SWOON!

The jewelry in this book makes a very distinctive statement. The author has a very distinct modernist primitive style that I personally LOVE, and if this is your style as well, you will be making some amazing jewelry. The book will teach you to artistically combine polymer clay and wire into organic, sophisticated, and contemporary jewelry.

Ancient Modern discusses the fundamentals of jewelry design as well as what makes a piece “primitive” and how to achieve an organic effect through color mixing and textures. The book starts with an introduction to deigning jewelry, color inspiration, the tools used with wire, wire techniques, creating clasps, and all about polymer clay. You'll learn a number of innovative techniques in designing beads and components from polymer clay, making wire work elements, clasps and ear wires, wire bead caps, polymer clay tipped head pins, and more. Once you have that down, there are 15 one-of-a-kind gorgeous projects to create and a gallery of more stunning jewelry to be inspired by.

The projects range from Lush Sonata Necklace, Three Ring Circus Brooch, to Dancing Bells Earrings and Embrace Me ring. All have very detailed photos and instructions and you will want to stay up all night crafting these. I do anyway!

This book is truly one of a kind polymer clay book. I've dug out my box of old polymerclay (hope its still soft!) and try out these techniques. I went to Pearl to find the dilutant but they were out of course!!! I will have to order some online and will post pics when I get some of these lovely projects finished.

1 comment:

Christine Damm said...

Good review! I have not put that book down since I bought it a week ago-- it has really stimulated some little gray cells! Ancient Modern is right up there with the most useful clay books I own (and I think I own all of them!) Highly recommended,