Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dealing with Credit Cards online and onsite

When I thought about taking credit cards for the SFIGF, I was a bit nervous. I really fret about getting a wireless signal in the basement of Moscone to call process cards. So I bought and iPhone and did a little research about credit card processing apps.

After looking at a few of them I finally narrowed it down. I opened an Authorize.net merchant account and got the iPhone credit card processor app thru Inner Fence. It's the one you see on the iPhone commercials. I wanted to use it to process credit cards both on my website as well as at art fairs or trunk shows. It's a much better rate then the Paypal I have on the website and the Propay I used for shows in the past. We had no problems getting a signal and it worked like a dream. I am so glad I got it because it was SO handy to have at the gift show. It's really easy to use, and you can set it up to take the customers email if you want and it will email them a receipt of the purchase! I'm still super slow at typing on it, but I definately plan to implement that at the next show I do.

If you have an iPhone, and want an instaneous way to process cards at a show-get this app! You won't be sorry. If you are thinking about getting a merchant account (with or without an iPhone), I highly recommend going thru Inner Fence for the Authorize.net account and they gave me a referral link to pass out too.

Since I had the merchant account, I wanted to integrate it into the website. I '"thought" it would be easy...not so much! At first I couldn't get it to work on Zencart, then Rob tried to help and he couldn't get it to work either. He did some googling and found out you had to have a SSL certificate on the site before it would work. So we got that, then he spent all of Friday(his day off) doing all that messy computer work for me. I would NEVER have been able to figure it out on my own. Thank you SO much honey! Now my website has 2 options to pay either with a credit card or with Paypal.

I am so pleased thats all done and my customers are more secure. And eventually, I'll tackle the dang Quickbooks and the major goals for the year will have been accomplished LOL.

Today, I spent way too much time on ebay trying to find supplies. Good grief its a time sucker, and there is alot less stuff on there than there use to be. I also spent a ton of money online the last couple of days buying new tools, and bulk clasps, jumprings, bezels, etc....I can't wait until the new goodies arrive! I also took some photos of jewelry today, and will resize them tomorrow.

Now, without further adieu there's lots of great jewelry reading thru the Bead Bloggers!

A Bead A Day A Crystallized "Square Ring"! If you have never seen a "square ring", stop by A Bead A Day to see how it has been incorporated into a bracelet.

About.com Jewelry Making Too Much Jewelry Business Success? Is it really possible? And if so, what do you do about it?

Art Bead Scene Art Bead Scene announces the August monthly challenge theme - a beautiful woodcut print.

Beading Arts The simple spiral square stitch can add pizazz to your projects. Learn this easy stitch with an easy-to-follow tutorial!

Carmi's Art/Life World Carmi explains how she made her glue gun leather brooch.

Cindy Gimbrone aka The Lampwork Diva Looking to create a pendant from one of her antique button treasures, Cindy tries her hand at mold making.

Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Melanie shares her new Shino glaze tests, and ponders about new work.

Jean Campbell Jean helped deliver two babies this week: a new nephew and a new bracelet design

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio There are a couple of new bead and blog books on the shelves at Barnes & Noble! Lorelei's got the scoop!

The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton The BIG REVEAL is here! Check out Andrew's submission to the Use the Muse II contest!

4 comments:

Robert Saint John said...

"Thank you SO much honey!"

You're welcome, sweetness! Oh, and some advice to others who want to add Authorize.net to your Zen Cart? Make sure you go to the obscure section in Admin and actually *activate* the cards. Save yourself an hour or two of pain and frustration, lol

kecia said...

nothing is every easy! thank god you are married to a techie! wish mine was more technically inclined!

Hi Octane Jewelry said...

Thanks for the good info. I have been wanting to do this on my i-phone. Was it hard setting up the Authorize.net account?

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Hey kecia=I am lucky on that aspect! otherwise this would never get done, its over my head LOL

Hey Octane girl, nice to see you!
It was really easy to set up the authorize.net account. The hardest was filling out the paperwork and trying to find an online fax since we have Vonage and cant use the fax machine on it. They approved me the same day.

Setting up the SSL certification on my website so I could put the authorize.net on there was another story. ZenCart isn't easy but its free. And the customer service guy was fast to respond and really walked Rob thru everything.