Sunday, August 16, 2009

They like me, they really really like me!!!


The SF International Gift Show has come and gone. It ended on Tuesday but I was so spent from the 4 days of LONG days that I gave myself the entire week off. Only today do I not feel exhausted and beat up! The photo above was taken by one of the amazing people in my section Ms. Jamie Lau. I am sporting as absolutely fabulous feather fascinator by Miss Ruby Sue designer Lori, who was across the aisle from me. I LOVE IT! It's bright purple with pink and red, what's not to love?I think this was day 2? and I am barely awake in the photo LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I had a fantastic time just my body doesn't like getting up at 6am and going until 11+pm for 4 days in a row. It was an amazing experience on so many levels. I'm happy I put aside my fears of worrying about if one of a kind would do ok at a wholesale show.

Another shot of the displays. I learned ALOT about what to do and not to do at these things. I was pretty happy withe the display, although you always seem to be tweeking them after every show. I need something better for the earrings so that is next on my to do list. Pricing everything wholesale was KEY, easier on the buyers and myself. I'll write up some things I learned on a different post.

I had such terrific & positive response to my work that it has really motivated me to do more of these shows. Women were almost fighting over stuff, and I could have sold twice as much if I had it. I came home with about 1/4 of what I took. I would come home each night eat dinner and make a couple pieces of jewelry to take the next day. I even took stuff I had set aside for Artist Xchange, and things I made for myself and as gifts!!! It was crazy and I loved it.

Another huge thing that made this show so great was the camaraderie of the other artists in our little "Haight" section of the show. EVERYONE was really wonderful, we all helped each other with setting up or moving things around. Everyone looked after others booths when people need potty or food breaks, and everyone was super supportive. Even though we had some disasters in our area like as an another sections display crashed onto one of our groups booths and broke her displays, and then when some jerk came thru our section stealing jewelry=everyone was lending a hand to fix, help, hug and lend support. I truly have never done any other show where everyone was so caring about the people around them. Cindy (Hamburger Panda), and Jamie were next to each other and cracking us all up the entire time. Jenny & Jimbob were delightful and I adored their hand decorated matchbox shrines they make for each charm they handcast. Across from me was the cheerleader and beacon of sunshine in our section, Spring of Blac Gurlz Ink. I loved her energy and I know we'll be seeing each other again soon.

Honestly, everyone was fantastic, and I could write a book on them all but I'll save your eyes. The other wonderful people in our little section were: Humble, Squishy Sushi, Beyond Wonderland, Tim Snyder Photography, Tish & Co., Amanda K Lockrow, Beyond Wonderland, Floor Art Works, Funky Chicken Design, Live Your Dream Designs, Meghan Patrice Riley, Mixlexic Press (amazing modern day Illustrated Manuscript art books!), myfriendroze, Rosy Renaissance, UP N' ATOM brand SOAPS. Sorry I dont' have the energy to look up every link, you'll have to google them. I'm gonna get on the soapbox and asking you all - Please, Support your local (and long distance!) artists and spread the love around.

On that happy note I'm off to bed to dream of happy times and jewelry.

8 comments:

it's me ...Twinkie Chan! said...

You display looks so elegant!! I'ms o glad to hear you did so well at the show!

kecia said...

great display - love the frame for the necklaces. i've got a picture and easel that i think i'll get out and maybe take to the Country Living Fair.

Lux said...

great! I'd love to hear what you learnt, any tips, I'm still new at the craft fair thing and evry time it seems like I learn something new for the next one. thanks Barbe!
Lux x

Marbella Designs said...

Your display looks great, congrats on your sales.
looking forward to your tips.

Miz Bella said...

You look so babalicious! Am glad the show went great for you! xo Bella

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Thanks everyone!
Kecia, yes use the frame and easel! its perfect for our type of necklaces.

Cindy Caraway said...

Your frames look fabulous! What a great idea for merchandising you artwork. Glad you had a great show :)

Birds of a Feather said...

Everything looks fabulous (of course!) You have such amazingly creative display ideas ~ congrats on your successful show! And thanks for your sweet comments too.

xo Heidi