Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Book Review: Mixed Metals

Mixed Metals: Creating Contemporary Jewelry with Silver, Gold, Copper, Brass, and More
Mixed Metals: creating contemporary jewelry with silver, gold, copper, brass & more. Melinda Barta & Danielle Fox
Paperback: 112 pages
Publisher: Interweave Press (May 1, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 159668092X
ISBN-13: 978-1596680920

Look at that cover! The authors Danielle Fox & Melinda Barta seem to out do themselves with each book they put out. Whenever I get their lastest, I am blown away with how great it is. I think there is NO way they can top themselves with the next one, only to be happily proven wrong. Mixed Metals had me when I saw the cover-SWOON!!!!

The focus of Mixed Metals: Creating Contemporary Jewelry with Silver, Gold, Copper, Brass & More is about re-thinking the way we use metal in our jewelry designs and "mix it up". Utilizing premade metal beads, charms, clasps. chains and other components accessible at any bead store, this mixed metal jewelry book offers 21 boutique style projects that don’t require any metalworking skills.
The components used in the projects themselves are so lovely and unsual. They did a fantastic job of finding the most lush, antique looking, gorgeous chain, findings and beads. While looking through the book, you'll be itching to run to your local bead or craft store to find some of these for yourself! Sadly, I haven't seen most of these type things in my local stores so I'll be scouring the internet with my huge shopping list.

Mixed Metals begins with projects based on each type of metal – Gold, Silver, Base Metals, Faux/other metals and Mixing Metals. Each chapter has background information on that type of metal, from history, facts, common properties to care, and cleaning. The projects have step by step instructions and detailed photography.

There are also techniques for altering the metals by using liver of sulfur, other patinas, and hammering. A glossary of terms, beading & wirework 101 techniques, resources and shopping guide are at the end of the book.

The diversity of the projects as well as the components makes this book really stand out. I think this book will be liberating to alot of jewelrymakers who feel a bit stuck with just using all one type of metal. You won’t be afraid to throw caution to the wind and mix some gold and silver chains with copper charms after reading this book. Every project in this book is lush so I can’t pick ONE favorite out of this book. It's a gorgeous book not only for it’s projects, but also for it’s inspiration and shopping links.

Another book I recommend that should be in your jewelrymaking library.

7 comments:

artgirly said...

Thanks Barbe- Im dying to get my hands on it.
;-) Nicole

Michele Lynch Art said...

Yuppers this one is on my shopping list!! Looks really inspiring!! Michele

mairedodd said...

that sounds like a great one! i haven't bought a book in a long time, just got one the other day... this sounds like one i need to get... of course, i keep post-its next to me and the books end up looking like the old sears toy catalogues from when i was a kid!

diane hawkey said...

Melinda & Danielle are both amazing.
Can't wait to get my hands on the book.

Indian Creek Studios said...

cool
I just ordered it a few days ago, it should be here any time, so how cool to find a review :0)

Jeannie said...

I bought a copy and I can't put it down. Your review of the book is outstanding. I don't need to add anything

Melissa J. Lee said...

Oh, I so agree! I love this book. Great review!