Friday, September 18, 2009

Signals and Signposts


I'm a big believer in the presence of divine signals and signposts. I think the universe put them in our lives to help us along this path. They run the gamut from "Straight ahead" to "You aren't alone, keep going" to "STOP YOU IDIOT". Sometimes they are recognizable immediately, other times not.

Last night at 10pm I heard a weird noise and my cat Pearl attacking the recycle bin. I looked over and see a huge dragonfly. This is odd for a number of reasons- 1: we live 5 stories above ground, 2: it was nighttime and they aren't nocturnal beings and 3: we live 4 blocks from the river where they would be living. I took this as one of those signposts.

I rushed over to save it. Pearl is the self designated household "bug killer" and she lives to catch and eat insects. I didn't want to see this beautiful creature become her late night snack. He was a large brown one, with a wingspan of over 4 inches. So prehistoric looking, I wish I could have sat and studied him for a few hours. I kept trying to shoo him out any of the open windows and he would NOT have it. He wanted to stay in and refused to be put out. Everytime I put him out, he flew right back in. He kept landing on my head and shoulder, flew around my work table, sitting on my stuff, etc... It was so bizarre! If the cats weren't around I would have been happy to let him buzz around for as long as he liked.

Pearl was going bonkers, seeing that juicy treat buzzing around and not being able to get it for herself. I must have put him out the window 7 times but he kept flying right back in. I called Rob down and took the cat in the bedroom. He tried to get him out 4 or 5 times and only succeed because the dragonfly flew into an empty vase and settled down in it. Pearl managed to fill her homicidal needs on a poor moth in the bedroom, so she was happy in the end. Mr. Dragonfly is back outside, hopefully safe and sound.

Dragonfly's are so amazing, they have changed little since prehistoric times except they are smaller. I think one of the oldest fossils of a dragonfly has a wingspan of 3 ft. Can you imagine a huge dragonfly that size buzzing around? The sound would be deafening!. I do love them, I have a dragonfly tattoo on my leg and recently had the Dragonfly Baby necklace published in a recent issue of
Belle Armoire. The general symbolic meaning of dragonflies are: a symbol of happiness, new beginnings, renewal and change. This is so relevant to my current state of life right now. I've been going through all kinds of emotions this past week, and seeing the dragonfly reminded me to focus on the NOW and all the wonderful things that are happening. The emotional ups and downs that go with a reunion of this sort are jolting, I wouldn't change going through it for the world. It's made me look inside myself and re examine some of my own fears and insecurities, beliefs and truths. It's brought my husband and I closer together and above all I now have one less hole in my heart/soul. I am experiencing a new beginning of happiness through renewal and change.

Thank you dragonfly, for being the signpost to a new beginning in my life.

9 comments:

Janine said...

What a wonderful post Barbe. Last Saturday when I was out checking on an Australian Fur seal that had hauled out I saw 3 dragonflies... and another when I got home! One in particular kept flying around me and like yourself the symbol of the Dragonfly is so relevant to my my state of life at the moment too! Thanks again for the post!

CatHerder said...

that is SO FUNNY you posted this...Captain Nemo (the neighbor cat that never leaves my deck) caught a dragon fly and left it for me...its got black stripes on its wings..i put it on the workbench...when i get a chance i want to set it under glass...will take a pic of it when i get a chance..been so busy with work and stuff...wanted to WISH YOU A HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY before i FORGET!!! :-)

TesoriTrovati said...

"focus on the NOW"
What a powerful statement Barbe!
I believe that you bring blessings to yourself by the attitude you wear and you certainly brought this little dragonfly to you! I knew they were special things with wings, but I had no idea about the symbolism. Thanks so much for sharing your bit of inspiration today!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Heather said...

How awesome, Barbe!

When we were at the Hunting Island Beach in the SoCo low country a couple of weeks ago, the dragonflies were zipping about all over the beach and in the woods. They are certainly a magical species that have endured all the physical changes of the world around them. I like to think that they represent the physical form of our spirits. :-) XOXOX

The Joy of Nesting said...

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful then the risk to blossom"
Anais Nin

Hi Barbe, I have been one of your quiet followers for awhile now. The above quote was given to me during a time I was going through some "growing pains" :) Perhaps it will bring a small sigh of comfort for you.

I am a firm beliver that things always happen in their own time and in their own way

Not that this has any real significance but it does kinda give you a bit of that doo doo doodoo feeling. I was headed to your little home in Bloglandia to tell you that I had posted on my blog and linked it back to yours. When I saw your "Dragon Fly Baby" in the Belle Armoire Jewelry issue I thought it was soooo cute and filed it in my cool ideas folder. I dropped by to tell you that I had posted a dragonfly necklace I made for a gift using your creation as inspiration. Please come by if you would like.

Thank you for creating such a fun happy and positive piece of Art Jewelry!!! And thank you for so graciously being a wonderful artist,teacher, and inspiration to many of us!!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mexico

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Thank you all!

Patti, I love that quote by Anais Nin. Its so descriptive of this unfolding of a reunion. At some point the pupa must break free form the cocoon and fly away as a butterfly.

I also love your dragonfly necklace! Its wonderful to see how I inspired a piece of jewelry. I know your friend will LOVE it!

Kerin said...

Hi Barbe ~

Loved this story of how he just would not leave which kept the message right there where it would not be ignored! When I see ravens they remind me to think higher thoughts and be in the present. It's great to be reminded of where we should be focused especially by such amazing creatures. :)

Diana P. said...

I too love dragonflies and believe they are a symbol for good things. I was having a horrible day last week and a giant dragonfly came around. Cheered me right up!

kecia said...

it's good of you to be reflective; to be able to see past the dragonfly and look instead to what he might be telling you. i applaud you for listening.