Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Book Review: Chain Style


Chain Style: 50 Contemporary Jewelry Designs
Author: Jane Dickerson
Paperback: 128 pages
Chain jewelry is HOT right now. I'm not talking one little chain with a little charm on it, I'm talking big fancy chain, or lots of chains or a tangled web of chain. Chain is the star, not the pendant or charms. "Chain Style" has its finger on this hot trend with 50 creative ideas for how to use chain as the key design feature in your jewelry project. Some projects take less then 20 minutes to complete, others are more work intensive but all are gorgeous.

10 super talented jewelry designers created the projects in this book. They include 2 of my new online friends: Lorelei Eurto and Kerry Bogert. This book covers the basics like working with jump rings, wire wraped loops, hooks, oxidizing, hammering and cutting. The projects are well written, easy to follow and have beautiful photos. Another aspect of the book I really like, is all the amazing beads used in the projects. I think this is an unintentional but wonderful extra bonus for readers.
A few of my favorites are "So Soho", "Olive Twist", "City Side" and "Bohemian Heart" but they are all wonderful.

It's a great book for the projects as well as inspiration to spice up your own work. Whether brand new to jewelry or an experienced jewelry maker,
this book is one you will enjoy and look through again and again.

2 comments:

missficklemedia.com said...

I am going to have to check this one out!

Jeannie said...

I do appreciate all the wonderful book reviews on the blogs. I actually have Cynthia Thornton's on my blog right now. Thank you