Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The final link in the Necklace Round Robin




Isn't this gorgeous! I was the final creative stop for the necklace round robin I was in. The group consisted of myself and 3 other fabulous jewelry artists - Lorelei Eurto, Mary Dodd and Kerry Bogert.  This is my necklace.  I borrowed the pic from Mary's blog but its been on my neck since I got it!  We all started with a partially started necklace, a note about our theme, color and length preference and what inspired the start. I started with a wee bit of copper chain, the soldered pendant and the red glass jewel dangle and got this gorgeous piece back! I LOVE it, L O V E!  Thank you ladies!

Now it was my turn to add my touch to their necklaces. I got the box and oohed and ahhed over each one. This was Lorelei's necklace as  when I received it.  I love the dusky color scheme of olive, coral and purple.


And is the finished piece! I really love it!!!!

 Because of all the colors and the gorgeous floral charm, I felt like it had a "Secret Garden" feel so I went in that direction with it. I added  my own handcrafted resin charms to pull it together. A small patinaed brass house with "secret" bezel charm, a small copper bezel filled with pearls and resin and a tiny sterling bird charm.

This was is Mary's necklace, it has a earthy ephemeral feel to it. Mary had written in her note about what inspired her necklace start, and talked about breath.


And this is how I interpreted that while keeping the necklace at the length she desired. I love her coppery browns and purples in this. I created a tiny bottle reliquary with a bit of purple moss in it. I also added a large tumbled amethyst bead, and a faceted carnelian briolette.


Last but certainly not least is Kerry's necklace. I borrowed this pic from Mary's blog.


This one challenged me. It was shy at first and didn't want to give me any clues about what to add to it.  I love the aqua silk coupled with sterling and gunmetal. I pulled out all kinds of things, yet nothing seemed 'right'. I added things, took them off again a number of times. After 2 days of not doing anything of justice to this piece I set it aside to let my subconscious mind work on it for a while. That night I had a dream about it and in the morning came up with this.


I wanted to tie in the rich orange with the turquoise so I created a double sided Patera pendant with vintage bird images and resin. Keeping with the asymetrical feel, I untied the silk from one side and doubled it up along with the gunmetal chain section, added a few Hyacinth Swarovski crystals, some glass beads and a sterling toggle clasp.  I think it fits Kerry's cheery personality.

I had a great time adding my own flavor to each of these necklaces. Thank you girls for playing with me!

14 comments:

Persimmons Gal said...

This is such a fantastic idea and I love love love the finished pieces! Thanks so much for sharing!

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Thanks! it really is a great thing to do, and I found a whole new world of art bead vendors I didn't know existed!!!

TesoriTrovati said...

I just love how the divine inspiration just came to you in a dream, Barbe! I had such a phenomenal time with the bracelet exchange this summer, so I know of which you speak! I think that each piece really reflects the style and personality of each of you. And you will find that this piece is all the more precious because so many talented hands worked so diligently to make it so special for you. There is nothing better than to collaborate with other artists... if I could do this sort of thing all day I would! Thanks for sharing your sweet inspiration Barbe! Enjoy the day! Erin

Lux said...

what a great idea, i've never heard of it - how do you have time??? I love some of the little pieces frames in here. Love your blog too, keep it up, Carola xxx

mairedodd said...

barbe - these all came out so incredibly wonderful... and i love the thought you put into each one... fab idea turning kerry's around and seeing it differently - thank you so very much for your work and inspiration...

Lorelei said...

WOW WOW WOW!! Love all of your thoughtful additions Barbe! Each one turned out awesome!
I'm posting my necklace today and will link back to your site. Thanks so much for agreeing to participate! I hope you feel inspired, and you should feel so proud. These are beautiful! I love the Secret addition to my necklace!

Gardanne said...

You ladies did such a great job, I love how Kerry's necklace has evolved. Every time I thought it was going in one direction it changed course and kept me guessing.
You guys should turn this into a book.

Do Be Do Bead Do said...

Such amazing talent and beautiful pieces... just lovely. Gardanne has a brilliant idea -- a book!

sandi said...

I've been following the round robins...every piece turned out lovely. It's fun to see how each author adds their interpretation. Since I'm such a 'red' person, I especially love yours. I know you'll wear it proudly!!

sandi/chgo

Spring said...

Ahh Sis! Nice, nice! I love the whole idea of pass the necklaces on so that each of you added your unique touch and loving energy...oh giving me ideas over here...hahaha! Im resting and roaming cyberspace...girl will I ever just sit still...noooooooo! Lovely jewelry...simply Lovely!

Betina Sandra Guelman said...

fantastic idea and I love the finished pieces
http://betinaguelman.blogspot.com/

Cyndi L said...

How sweet! They are all turning out to be so wonderful :-)

HeArt Collective said...

wonderful work, great ideas and cool collaborations! totally diggin' it! xoxo jul

Gaby Bee said...

All these pieces are simply amazing!