Monday, November 23, 2009

Enchanted Adornments Book Review


 Ok=so I'm about a month late posting my review and I apologize. It has nothing to do with the book, its me. I seem to have fallen out of the habit of blogging every day like I use to when I was on craftgossip. Anyway, on to the book.  Enchanted Adornments is more than just a "how to" jewelrymaking book.  It has jewelry techniques, projects as well as a story and Cynthia's illustrations. This book is what I would call "advanced beginner".   It goes beyond basic wire wrapping or bead stringing and gets into the meat of jewelry making. There are alot of techniques and materials used in the projects
 
The first half of the book is called "Essentials".  It covers basic jewelry "how to's", techniques you'll use in the projects and all that. She also shows the reader how to gather inspiration for your work, keeping a sketchbook or journal and other design building elements. This is an essential part of  expanding your creativity and great for beginners who are comfortable with techniques but looking to put more "wow" into their designs.  Also Cynthia has included some unique jewelry making techniques in this section that I've never seen as well. /For example, she shows how to make a texture sheet for your PMC or polymer clay. VERY CLEVER and I'll be making some myself!
 
The second half of the book is the story with the projects woven into the story line. The story is written in journal form with Cynthia's whimisical and fairylike style. There are 20  projects with variations in the book, and all combine various techniques like clay, beadwork and resin. 
 
There's alot of inspiration and technical information in this book for artist of all levels.

1 comment:

Andrew Thornton said...

Great review! Thanks so much Barbe!