Sunday, November 22, 2009

San Francisco Bead and Design Show Review and Bead Blog Reading Rainbow

Yesterday I went to a new Bead Show being held in SF, The San Francisco Bead and Design show. It was in the Hotel Whitcomr in the Civic Center/Theatre district part of downtown. It's a dicey area but the hotel is absolutely gorgeous.  It was a really nice show, with tons of interesting jewelry and supplies. There were probably more jewelry and clothing for sale than supplies but the mix was nice. There were also a few classes, which is great and Christi Friesen had polymer clay make and takes at her booth for free which was fantastic!!!   I sat in for one of her steampunk hearts class, and later saw she was about to start a dragonfly class. She was a great instructor and I loved meeting her.  She had some amazing work and I bought a heart pendant from her. I also got to meet and talk to a number of Facebook jewelrymaking people which was nice.   I didn't buy much however, because it seem everyone only sold retail. The few people I asked about wholesale question only gave me me tax off my purchase. I was hoping to get some basics like chain/findings but I guess this wasn't the show for that.

The show wasn't too crowded, which is nice when you are shopping but not so good if you are selling. I think the $10 entry fee really kept people away.  I personally don't like to have to spend money to get into an event where I am going to spend money and usually will bypass events that charge.  Also, unless you took public transit=parking in that part of the city is expensive and there is almost NO street parking.  Those factors really cut into someone's spending budget before they even step foot inside and I think that's why attendence was low.  But since it was the first show IN SF and there were vendors I wanted to see I went. I hope the next one has a much lower entry fee to entice more shoppers to attend. Also hopefully there will be more classes and more wholesale opportunities at future ones. 

And to keep your jewelry thoughts flowing,  here's a ton of fun things to read on the Bead Bloggers linky love today!

A Bead A Day - Do pearls go with everything? Lisa pairs glass pearls with chain and interesting findings. What do you think?

About.com Jewelry Making  - What do you do with a weird piece of chain made from wood? How about making a fabulous necklace out of it.

Art Bead Scene - Art Bead Scene gives you the scoop on findings worth finding - check it out!

Barbe Saint John : I've been a bad blogger!
Carmi's Art/Life World  - Carmi makes a brooch with a cameo and other odds and ends.

Cindy Gimbrone aka The Lampwork Diva = Cindy has a new shop on Etsy - the bleeding heart. Check it out!

Earthenwood Studio Chronicles - Melanie shows the piece she made for the new book Chain Style, and talks about her struggles with letting go of her published jewelry pieces.

 Jean Campbell =  Jean kicks off a new era of self-indulgence with a funky Steampunk necklace.

Jewelry & Beading - Gather up some little beaded flowers and turn them into a very special necklace!

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio - Lorelei's annual craft fair adventure is over and she share's some photos of the Aftermath.
Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done! - Artbeads teamed up with Nintendo DS to create a fantastic virtual learning game for jewelry lovers! Style Lab! Jean shows it off in a youtube clip! FUN for the HOLIDAYS! :)

Strands of Beads - Melissa discusses the virtue of buttons in jewelry-making

2 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

I totally agree about the charging thing. I understand that they have to pay for the venue but that is too much. I helped run a successful craft show with a service organization for 12 years. We only charged about $2 to get in. And we didn't take a percentage, but had booth fees and we still made money.
I only do one show a year, a fundraiser called ARTS Night (A Reason To Shop). They charge $25 for advance tickets and do have a little hors d'ouevres spread and a cash bar... I talk to so many people that won't come becuase of that price. They take a % of my sales as my donation, also expect me to donate to the silent auction. I find that a lot of people go and drink and eat and then in the last hour rush to see it all and don't leave with much. I tell them every year that this is A Reason To Shop, not A Reason To Eat/Drink, but they don't seem to care. I might not be in it next year which is a shame becuase I suppor their cause, but this just cuts out too many people who might buy from the vendors. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day! Erin

adithya said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.

Web Designer San Francisco