Friday, December 04, 2009

Fill up your Steampunk Jewelry Trunk! Steampunk Style Jewelry Book Review


Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings

I just got my review copy of this book, and WOW!!!!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! And I'm not biased, it really is a fantastic book! Even the book it self is a work of art, from the embossed cover to the metallic copper liner paper. This is just a lovely book inside and out.

This jewelrymaking how-to book features some really wonderful jewelry work by invited jewelry designers who are influenced by Steampunk. I'm so honored to have been part of this group of talented jewelry artists.

Authored by Jean Campbell: "Steampunk-Style Jewelry" projects focus on "no fire" (cold connections) techniques. Even a beginner can create some clever steampunk style jewelry by doing simple stringing and wirework, hammering, stamping, gluing, stitching, and some easy off-loom beadwork.

The book starts with an introduction to what Steampunk is, Makers Workshop which is all about the supplies and techniques, and then basic jewelry making tecniques. There are 20 projects in the book with a complete materials and tools list, step-by-step instructions, clear illustrations and absolutely stunning photographs. Also through the book are sidebars that talk about the many aspects of the Steampunk movement thru art, literary, music, design and fashion. In the back of the book is a gallery featuring more Steampunk Designs that will have you salivating.

As a teaser, I can show you one of my projects in the book: The Dirigible Aviatrix Necklace. I LOVE the way it look in print.


As a mixed media artist, I love seeing what other people do with similiar items. It ignites my own creativity to think outside the box even farther. I believe this book will do the same for jewelry makers who are curious about mixed media but not really sure how or where to begin. So I suggest you all start making a pile now to use when you get this book. Open up those junk drawers, start rifling through your garage - you are gonna be in mixed media mania once you see all the creativity in here.

I give this book 2 giant brass covered thumbs up and think you all will too!.

About the Author: Jean Campbell is a freelance craft editor,author and creative Goddess. She is the founding editor of Interweave’s Beadwork magazine and has written and edited more than 40 books, most recently including CPi’s Beadwork Inspired by Art: Impressionist Jewelry and Accessories and Beadwork Inspired by Art: Art Nouveau Jewelry and Accessories. Other recent books include The New Beader's Companion, Getting Started Stringing Beads, Beaded Weddings, The Art of Beaded Beads, Beadwork Creates Jewelry, and Beading with Crystals. Jean has a widely followed weekly blog on Interweave’s Beading Daily, and has appeared on the DIY Jewelry Making show, The Shay Pendray Show, and PBS' Beads, Baubles, and Jewels where she gives how-to instructions, provides inspiration, and offers crafting advice.

12 comments:

Tami Roth said...

Congratulations, Barbe!! I will put this book on my wish list! Your project is just amazing-I love it!
Hugs,
Tami

Leslie said...

hey barbe, i've had it on pre-order for months... i'll let you know when they're for sale on the AS site
xo

Jo Archer said...

Oh I do love steampunk! Can't wait for this to be out. Congratulations! Love your necklace, it reminds me of an image my partner, Simon took. He's been into the aviator look a lot recently, having his models dressing up in all sorts! http://www.flickr.com/photos/25574750@N07/3995241140/in/set-72157621812921329/

mairedodd said...

thanks, barb! sounds great... and i love your article in the new belle armoire - that ring is so gorgeous! going to give it a shot!

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

Hm, I've been wondering if this one is worth buying. Thanks for the review and I love your ring in Belle Armoire Jewelry too!

Kathi said...

ok, this looks another book that must join my library. good thing I just built some more shelves!

“sent here on a marvelous surf via http://valerieaharoni.com”

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Thank you all! There are lots of eye candy in this book, and I know you'll all enjoy it.

Cynthia said...

I am so excited to see all the projects in this book! Barbe, please let folks know they can pre-order the book at http://www.Ornamentea.com and get a free kit of steampunk ingredients with every book...

(sorry, shameless self promotion, but I have two projects in the book, too!)

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

you just did Cynthia!! LOL, but I'll put up another plug too and let people know!

Jeannie said...

Barbe your necklace is the perfect contribution to Jean's book. I love it. Thanks so much for the review.

Lisa Crone said...

Wow, this is fabulous!! Can I post some of this on my blog Friday? :) ...Pretty please?

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Thanks everyone! Yes, Lisa feel free!