Sunday, January 10, 2010

DeStashing


I'm a big believer that our enviroments affect our mental state but also show the state of our mental landscape. I'm far from a hoarder but sometimes I keep things longer than I should. There are always reasons - sentimental, financial, practical, but it really boils down to fear. Fear that if we get rid of something, we will be without. The truth is there are times you need to clear out to make things better. A tree needs to prune the branches so it will bear fruit, or in more graphic terms Doctors must cut off a gangrenous toe to save your leg, etc...  One of my New Years Resolutions is to let go of things I'm not using. It will not only clear physical space but also cleanup emotional landscape and allow things in I do want/need.

My plan for 2010 is to send off lots of RAK pkgs to people, loading up bags for Goodwill, listing on various sites, etc... and basically paring down.   I'm also going to be doing some giveaways on here. I have gathered up some beads and things for a Spring Time in Paris giveaway. I'll be posting that this week!

And if anyone is interested, I'm selling my E3 Etching Sytem, Pictured above. I have used it twice. It works great, but since I've used it twice in 4 months, I'm thinking its not a necessary staple in my very limited studio space. If you are interested, email me directly for the details.barbe (AT) barbesaintjohn.com







Stay tuned for my review of A Bead in Time book by fellow bead blogger Lisa Crone!

7 comments:

~Izabella said...

I hear ya on the destashing! I need to clear out alot of stuff soon...it clouds my thinking if I accumulate too much stuff ;) xo!!

Lisa Crone said...

You are so right about FEAR! It seems to crop up in just about anything and everything when you try to get to the bottom of why you might do or not do something! The human condition needs kept in check!! Thanks for the reminder!! :)

Jill McKeever said...

i am the same way! but hey i have wanted a better etching setup for a long time- the radio shack acid just isnt working very well for me- i dont know your email but if you really want to destash it let me know!!! mckeeverjill@gmail.com
I have plenty to trade for if theres anything you're needing!

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Izabella, thats the way I feel too. And living in a tiny apt as a mixed media artist is really hard. But I need to really keep a handle on it so it doesn't swing out of balance.

Lisa, its usually the root to everything, that is true!

Jill, I sent you an email, thanks!

mairedodd said...

an excellent goal! but it is hard for a found objects/mixed media person! looking forward to the destash...

Do Be Do Bead Do said...

Destashing is good for the soul. I look forward to stopping by and meeting you at CHA.

Sandi

HeArt Collective said...

I hadn't really thought of the FEAR aspect... barbe... this really hits home at just the right time. Wow. I need to reassess the "why" i'm keeping the things i keep.

as a mixed media, shrine maker, jewelry maker and teacher of kids' and adult art classes i need a lot of different supplies, but what am i keeping out of a sense of scarcity or fear... good question...

hmmmm... i see purging in my future.

xoxo
jul