Sunday, February 28, 2010

My ArtBeads "Beauty of Spring" Creation and Bead Bloggers Roundup


Because I am a member of the Artbeads blogging team, I have the wonderful opportunity every few months to review items available from the Artbeads.com website. February's theme is ‘The Beauty of Spring" so I chose an eclectic mix of stoneware and Swarovski Crystal Beadscomponents to work with. To me Spring can be light and delicate with lots of pretty pastels, but also lush and earthy. I originally starting choosing items that were lighter in color like these pink Gemstones but changed my mind when I looked at the pendants section.

I was immediately drawn to the Stoneware Pendants. I had picked out 3 deco style floral ones as possibilities then saw this one called "Blossoms and Bird". Since the Robin has always signified Spring to me, I had to have it. Another plus, it's in my favorite colors of red and aqua as well. The robin is surrounded by white blossoms on an aqua background.

To accent the pendant, I used some luscious Swarovski Crystals. I used the Margerita shaped Crystals in 12 mm Crystal AB and 6mm Siam which matched the pendant perfectly. I added some vintage German Glass and plastic flower beads to the pendant to bring in the lushness of spring.

For the neck section I had originally envisioned a delicate chain but the pendant is so lush and juicy, I decided to oomph up the neck portion to match it. I love the Swarovski crystal cotton yarn and ordered some in Opal which is a pretty robin's egg blue color. I combined the crystal yarn with some Sari Silk I had from Objects and Elements in a dark red and aqua color. I wired on more vintage plastic flower beads with Swarovski Magarita beads centers on one side to create visual interest. To close it, I used some of my own altered cones and a handwrought brass hook and eye closure. I absolutly love how it turned out!


Head on over to ArtBeads.com to see a ton of other gorgeous goodies to make your own Spring inspired jewelry! Alternatively they are having a St. Patricks Day sale and you could create something wonderfully Irish and green instead.


Necessary Legal Stuff : I have received the products itemized above(crystals and pendant) free of charge from Artbeads and have not been paid for my review, endorsement or criticism of their products.  I am reviewing them honestly. 


For more jewelry inspiration, check out the beady happenings going on at the Bead Bloggers:
A Bead A Day Have you ever fallen in love with a piece of jewelry? Lisa fell head over heels for a bracelet on a fellow beader's blog and ended up trading for it!

About.com Jewelry Making Tammy got the 411 on some very cool new metal stamps. Though these can also be used with clay as well.


Barbe Saint John - New Jewelry from Forgotten Artifacts Bopping Along the ICE Resin Blog hop - My resin version of Little Egypt.

Beading Arts Do you want to try lampworking? Cyndi's been busy at the torch again.

Carmi's Art/Life World Carmi uses a candy mold to make a new resin pendant.

Cindy Gimbrone aka The Lampwork Diva Cindy takes a bead shopping trip to the Great White North and almost passes out!

Earthenwood Studio Chronicles Melanie unleashes her grumpy feelings with a little rant and a bead sale!

Jean Campbell A mystery package is the catalyst for this creative challenge. Up for it? You could win a free book!

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio Lorelei had a chance, a while back (2008) to have a nice little interview with etsy seller, Patina Queen! This is Lorelei's wire supplier, and she ROCKS!

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done! jean is breathless with delight when she receives a gift from her friend the artist Lisa Kan!
The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton Andrew shares his feelings about the awesome new Spring issue of "Stringing" magazine.

2 comments:

Lucid Moon Studio said...

That's funny...I picked out the ladybug stoneware pendant for my Artbeads Blogger Spring challenge! And I had red and turquoise in mind for the color palette. We must think alike! I love the way this necklace turned out. The sari silk and vintage flower beads are a nice touch. Great job! I should be finished with my spring piece soon...

Lisa

Orion Designs said...

What a beautiful and unique design. It's a great spring necklace!