Monday, February 15, 2010

Its ICE BLOG HOP TIME!!!! My Little Egypt ICE® Resin style!

( Little Egypt -Lyrics by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller)

I went and bought myself a ticket and I sat down in the very first row, wo wo.
They pulled the curtain but then whenthey turned the spotlight way down low, wo wo,
Little Egypt came out strotting,wearing nothing but a button and a bow, wo wo,
singing, "Yeaaah yeah, yeah yeah! Yeah yeah, yeah yeah''.

It's Blog Hop time!!!! Hope you all enjoy the blog posts as much as I am! A list of all the participating blogs are at the end of my post so you can join along with us too!

I have a long love of traditional Arabic music and dance. I also love the glorified Hollywood versions of the Arabian nights tales with the abundance of lame, chiffon and rhinestones. Little Egypt was a stage name for 2 popular dancers in the early 1900's, so many other people used that name that it become synonomous with "belly dancer". She was immortalized in song first by The Coasters, and then by Elvis and also in movies. Since the name is so iconic, I chose to create a jewelry tribute to the spirirt of Little Egypt (pictured above).

I wanted to stretch myself creatively when I sat down to make this. I wanted it to be a statement piece, somthing bold and vibrant. This piece is like a couture piece-not necessarily something you'd wear daily, although some could!

My goal was to create an amped up interpretation of a bellydance costume. I wanted the glitz of modern cabarat but with some elements of traditional. I also wanted to see what I could make using all Objects and Elements supplies along with my ICE® resin. There's so much GOOD stuff on the website to play with, it does get overwhelming for me sometimes. I usually have 5 or 7 different shopping carts going at once with different things, before I pare down to the real order. Everything but the large rhinestones, a few crystals and a couple of pieces of vintage chain came from the Objects and Elements store.

On a dance costume, sometimes there is a large tassel or fringe that hangs down over the midriff area. This is partially for modesty but also to create more movement when you dance. I love the look, so created a really long version in my necklace with sari silk ribbon and chains. It was hard to get a photo because it hangs about 2 1/2 feet long, but its stunning in person.
While this looks really heavy, its really quite comfortable. Using ICE® resin to create drops and pendants makes your necklaces lighter and more comfortable to wear then the same size pieces in glass or crystal.

To be inspired by a bunch of other Super Cool, Very Creative, Fantabulous ICE Resin® Hoppers just hop this way!:
Molly Alexander
Ro Bhrun
Karen Burns
Kecia Frazee Deveney
Mary Jane Dodd
Melanie Earthenwood
Shea Fragoso
Kerin Gale
Vickie Hallmark
Jill Liles
Jess Italia Lincoln
Heather Powers (and also here for Art Bead Scene)
Amy Purdes
Jenny Barnett Rohrs
Stephanie Rubiano
Lisa Sommerville
Kim Taylor

ObjectsandElements.com participating Design Team members:
Jen Cushman
Deryn Mentock
Kristen Robinson
Barbe Saint John
Susan Lenart Kazmer

If you didn't jump on the ICE® bandwagon but still want to join in, put a picture of your work using ICE® Resin on your blog and add your URL to the comments section to the Objects and Elements Blog Hop post. You can also email Jen at jen@objectsandelements.com.

Also, pretty please take a moment to comment on the blog and let the authors know you are reading. Jen be giving away some goodies on the Objects and Elements blog and you DON'T want to miss out on that I PROMISE!!!

7 comments:

*melanie* earthenwood studio said...

This is such a great glitzy piece! I love the way the Ice Resin teardrops are filled with crystals and sparkly stuff! Thanks for sharing!

mairedodd said...

you are always so innovative barbe - and this is no exception... i love how there is a historical reference to the piece... your artistry is just above and beyond!!

objectsandelements said...

I really really love this peice. And, of course, I've had the privilege of seeing it live in person. It seriously belongs in a costume museum! You are da bomb, Barbe Saint John.

--Jen

Lola M. said...

Very cool Barbe, love the long tassel! This piece reminded me of my mom, she belly danced, loved glitz and color -- she so would have worn this:)

Ro Bruhn said...

Fabulous piece Barbe, so much colour and originality.

Tami B. said...

Wowza, now this is a stunning piece.

Cyndi L said...

I totally love over-the-top pieces like this!