Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Getting Twisted with Totally Twisted by Kerry Bogert

Totally Twisted: Innovative Wirework & Art Glass Jewelry by Kerry Bogert
Interweave Press
ISBN-10: 1596681683

ISBN-13: 978-1596681682

I'm a huge fan of Kerry's work, and wass excited to learn she was writing a book.  Kerry's signature style is Joy personified as colorful glass lampwork beads and  wire jewelry. Her jewelrywork is so happy, it always makes me smile.  In Totally Twisted, she shows how to master basic wire working techniques to combine colored wire, sterling wire, and glass beads to create your own jewelry.

Totally Twisted starts off with the basics - materials, tools, techniques and conquering the color wheel. I was happy to see the color theory section.  Alot of crafters don't understand basic color theory because they've never learned about it. Kerry has a natural eye for color but understands not everyone does. The section on this is brief but very useful and informative. I think it will help beginning jewelry artists feel more confident when picking colors to work with.

The projects in the book are really outstanding. I think art glass beads can be intimidating to work with, I know they are for me sometimes.  When you spend $20, $30 or more for one bead, you want to REALLY show it off in a design.  Art Glass beads can have such a strong voice or presence, that it's hard to figure out how to build a necklace or bracelet around them . You want create something gorgeous without it looking over or under done and that can be difficult. But not to worryk Kerry shows you how to show off the bead or beads with a number of clever designs. I'm a big fan of colored wire although I don't use it myself but that may change after this book. I love how it is incorporated into these projects and makes the beads really pop! The photos throughout the book are fantastic and the explanation is clear, just like Kerry is sitting next to you.

I plan on trying out a number of these projects but first will need to buy some really amazing art glass beads to work with. Luckily, Kerry lists a bunch of art glass artists websites so shopping will be easy!!  This is a great book for your jewelry arts library for all levels of jewelry artists. I highly recommend this book and think it should be in everyone's jewelry library!

You can read more about Kerry on her blog, and shop for goodies on her website.

No comments: