Thursday, October 28, 2010

Personal Archaeology

Going thru ones belongings, deciding what you REALLY need to keep and what you don't isn't something I really find fun to do. It's a form of doing your own persona larchaeological dig.   Some people LOVE purging and god love them, but I'm not one of them.  I do like to get rid of stuff and feel freer, but I also like having stuff too. I'll never be one of those minimulists, with the gorgeous airy homes, mine will always be filled with stuff.  I find it easy to get rid of some things and hard to let go of others.  For example: books...I have hundreds of books.  Books are heavy and hard to move, but I can't let go of alot of them. Books have special meaning to me, they were my escape and sanctuary from an unhappy childhood.  I have been reading since I was about 4 yrs old, anything and everything I could lay my hands on.   I was a voracious reader as a child, reading 7+ books a week on top of doing school work.

As I go thru my books now, they are mostly reference books in art, science, spirituality, jewelry and vintage.  I like being able to go thru and research something immediately or browse thru for inspiration. I need to whittle my load down, but it hasn't been easy. Somehow I managed to get rid of 1/2 my vintage purses I thought I'd never give up, but the books are harder. I always say "its just stuff, and stuff can be replaced" but books feel more of a necessity to me.  Still, I'm deciding which I really NEED to keep and which I can replace later on or just get from the library if needed.

I also made a few new necklaces (some in the pic above) to take to a local boutique today.  She didn't take any of these, but did buy a few other things which was great.  I love when a shop owner just LOVES my work. She told me "You're work is so different than everyone else's, I just love it and so do my customers." Makes me feel good!

Since I've been in a creative funk, I've been spending a little time enjoying looking at other peoples creativity on various blogs.   My O&E design team sister Kristen has a great video on adding texture to resin . She is also doing an online class called "Ethereal Bangles" starting Monday that looks phenomenal.  The Objects and Elements blog has lot of great instructional and inspirational posts, so be sure to follow it if you don't already. I have a recent post up talking a little about the method of my jewelry making madness.

Also Margot Potter has gotten a new job with Jewel School - CONGRATS Margot!!!!!  She has been posting a few gorgeous projects using Jewel School supplies like this Melange demi parue. Detailed instructions will be coming soon, so keep checking her blog.

I guess its time to put my work hat on and get back to sorting thru more books!

5 comments:

sharon said...

I love these pieces Barbe! They are really different and unique! The hands one is my fav. I also sell to a local boutique ans she has the same reaction as yours, and it makes me feel like somebody "gets it".
Have a good weekend!

One Second Needle said...

Hope you managed to go through everything you needed to. What beautiful necklaces. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Don said...

Im with you on the books- I love having them around- kinda like a security blanket. I hate throwing out and I hate having a mess- hence lots of boxes!

Lisa Crone said...

Hi Barbe, Happy Thanksgiving!! :) Hope you are doing well!

ladyheart said...

Over the centuries, jewelry has been used extensively in making accessory items and are known to be affordable as well as sober looking.
pandora rings