Remember that quote from "Throw Momma from the Train"? I've wilted from the heat and humidity. Its been my mantra the last couple of day and the next 2 days are going to be worse. I don't have central air and only 3 of the 12 windows in my 2nd floor apt don't open.....As bad as I feel, I really worry for my animals. My elderly cat has taken to sleeping in the shower, and Bettie looks as miserable as I feel. Its impossible to do anything. I thought about a window air conditioner but this apt is large with 12ft ceilings....and the electric bill would be insane. Instead I'm going to use my misery to fuel me to look for a new apartment this week.
And what day did I decide to go to the flea market this week? If you guessed today, give yourself a gold star. I woke up later than I had planned and even with the hour drive I made it up there around 8:30. It was pretty muggy then and just got worse. I took my red silk parasol so I didn't get burnt or sunstroke and it elicited quite a few stares from people. I don't think I've ever been to a flea market in California where there weren't at least 8 ladies toting parasols. But then again, I have to keep reminding myself "I'm not in California anymore."
It was a good flea market but next time I'll get there by 7am. The crowd was already heavy by the time I got there which made looking difficult. The junk jewelry selection was sad and over priced so all I got were some watches to tear apart, a metal industrial box with 3 drawers in it, a pretty tarnished silver mesh bag and a gorgeous turquoise enameled trinket bowl for my vanity. The main thing that made slogging through the sun and humidity worth it all were a couple of small embossed photo albums with a few 40's thru 60's of African American photos inside.
Ethnic vintage photos are hard to come by, and I was absolutely chuffed to find this little stash of them. I can't wait to go through them all this week and scan them so I can start using them in my work.
Now onto this week's Bead Bloggers links!
- Find out how you can use your beading skills to help raise money for an Autism center
- Beading Arts
- Cyndi has been featuring wonderful wire artists all this month...take a look at what these folks are doing!
- Art Bead Scene
- Art Bead Scene is having a giveaway. Come check it out!
- Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
- Lumber everywhere! Melanie's wood-grain components are popping up in Beads 2011, on the Vintaj blog as the Art Bead Partner of the month, and at Art Bead Scene in a huge giveaway!
- Carmi's Art/Life World
- An acorn is the inspiration for a new ting in epoxy clay.
- Cindy Gimbrone, The Lampwork Diva
- It's a Tangle Tutorial. Come make a pair of "Well-Loved" earrings!
- Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
- Lorelei's birthday brought big changes to her jewelry studio this week, come on over and watch her vlog.
- Barbe Saint John - New Jewelry from Forgotten Artifacts
- It's jewelry "Re Do" time and a giveway of the finished piece
- Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
- Jean had a wonderful time creating a necklace set using both Artbeads and Earthenwood Studio components together, as she a blogging and design partner for each! See what she designed ! You might think the end result is as as yummy as she does !!!
- Resin Crafts!
- Resin + chocolate = great new bezels!
- The Bead Dreamer
- Stick beads, gemstones and wood earring findings inspire a necklace and matching earrings - both made using the same wood findings!
- The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
- Andrew hosts one of the biggest Thursday Giveaways EVER! You could win TWELVE coin pendants from his Shop!