Saturday, September 03, 2011

Fleamarket Fail





It was a super foggy and muggy morning. So soupy in the apt and unable to sleep, I woke up at 5am a full hour before the alarm was supposed to go off.

We got to the market and were surprised to see it was more than half empty.



And alot of the vendors werent even set up by 8am. There was mostly new stuff and nearly nothing of interest. Very disappointing as where the prices. I picked up a small sample perfume bottle about 2 inches tall. I asked how much and the girl said "I'll take 20". I said twenty dollars??? She replies "yes TWENTY dollars". I set it down-No thanks!!!! A dollar sure, not 20. We just kept laughing about the insanity of pricing there....$10 for bootleg movie DVDs, $20 for Star Wars figures you can't give away in a store, etc.....

The only real bargain I saw was this beautiful shabby broken antique wicker baby stroller which I didnt buy.






While i thought it was cute, it's not my "thing" so I left it. It should belong to someone who really wanted such a thing would find a treasure. And for $5 I'm sure it will find a good home.


I was really sad I couldn't find ANYTHING to buy for jewelry making. It was the main reason for making the early trip up there. Well, looking for stuff AND trying to shake off this overwhelming cabin fever I have.  So, it only took us about an hour and half to look at everything there and the only thing I bought was a turquoise Dansk Paella Pan.

 Only $5 and matches my kitchen. And I got a basket of homegrown tomatoes and another of red bell peppers for $2 each.  But over all, with the selection and the swampy weather it really wasn't worth the drive up to be honest.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Pretty Things said...

I hate when things like that happen. Especially when I'm the one SELLING at a craft show and it looks like that. Ack.

I hope the next one you visit is wonderful!

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

ahaha, I know I felt so bad for the sellers. It was disgustingly hot and humid at 8am, I couldn't imagine sitting in it until 3pm!

I hope the next trip goes better too, I need supplies!

Jennifer Tennant said...

There's a flea market that often happens near me and I don't know why but I always seem to miss it. Such a shame, will definitely get there next time.