Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Back that thing UP!!!

I want to spare you all the pain I recently went through with my laptop. Remember to back up your computers and if at all possible-get an external hard drive and back it up on there.

Recently my laptop died, and with it everything I had on it.  Sometimes when a computer dies; the tech can save some of the info, sometimes they can't.  It was the latter in my case because my mother board fried.


That also reminds me to tell you-make SURE when using a lap top you don't have it sitting on your lap or blanket for hours on end.  Air can't flow under it and cool it off, it will  overheat and eventually burn out.   

IF I had been smart and backed up on discs or an external hard drive I wouldn't have lost all my info. Sadly,  I didn't-dumb girl!  I lost all the work I had done on my new site, kept a lot of ebooks on there (so I could read in bed),  a lot of PDF patterns and, a lot of photos I had saved from various sites, etc... And lets not forget music, I had a good amount of music and sleep mp3's that I don't know if I'll ever get back.. sigh...... Luckily I didn't have a lot of personal photo's but still the loss hurt.

There are also remote sites you can back up too. I've never tried one, but it's something to look into.  So please, do yourself a favor-back up your computer tonight and save yourself a headache down the road!

2 comments:

susanc said...

Thank you for the reminder Barbe! I've got an external drive that I back everything up onto, but I haven't done it for about a month, so I will do it now. Sorry that you lost all your info, but I bet you will always back up your computers now (trying to look at the positive, if there is in this situation).

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

Glad I could be your reminder Susan!! You know I was backing up my computer too and making sure I have everything precious on my external drive.