Thursday, March 01, 2012

Happy St. David's Day!


Happy St. David's Day everyone!!!! I was hoping the daffodils in my yard would have bloomed by now, but the crocus have beat them. 

A little background on this holiday for the patron saint of Wales- Saint David's Day (in Welsh: Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant) is the feast day of Saint David and falls on 1 March each year. 
St. David was born in 520 on the southwest coast of Wales. .The date of March 1st was chosen in remembrance of the death of Saint David on that day in 589, and has been celebrated by followers since then. The date was declared a national day of celebration within Wales in the 18th century. It is growing in popularity and is celebrated throughout the UK and withby Welsh (and those of Welsh descent) all over the world.

Stained glass portrait of Saint David.

2 comments:

susanc said...

Happy St. David's Day Barbe! I hadn't heard of this feast day ~ thank you for sharing it with us! My step-grandfather was from Wales. :)

Jenny said...

I thought I was the only one who did St David's day posts! (altho I missed this year...) What is your Welsh connection? My maiden name is Davies. My great grandfather (paternal) came over working for a shipping company. He conveniently missed the return boat!