Monday, April 30, 2012

Artful Success in more ways than one


I've just passed the half way point in the Artful Success program.  I have realized I'm getting a lot more out of this program than just business mentoring.  While I am making progress with the business end of stuff, I'm really blossoming on a much deeper level.


I can best describe it as a flower bud, the petals held tightly together.  The only way to see the flower in full bloom is to open each petal one at a time.  For example, I now realize that because I when I commit to a job or work project, I give 10000% to it and neglect myself and my own needs. While on the surface that kind of devotion is admirable, I realize it has been a hindrance. People take advantage of you because you work harder, give more and ask for less than others.  I have always been generous with my time, knowledge and skills with others. But now I see how sometimes I have done more damage to myself than good by being overly generous with others.  


 I've seen that my generosity has been made me appear "unvaluable" rather than "invaluable".  That's quite a wake up call. I am a big believer in being generous and that won't change. What is changing is who/what and how much I am giving from now on.  I believe that one has to be generous to live a life of balance and deep joy. I also need to remind myself that you can be generous without giving everything away.

I am really looking forward to what the next half of the Artful Success program will show me!


2 comments:

Pretty Things said...

I would LOVE to talk to you more about this. Especially this:

But now I see how sometimes I have done more damage to myself than good by being overly generous with others.

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

We'll talk soon!! I was moved by your blog post yesterday about having those doubts and fears. It hits home with a lot of us!