Thursday, May 04, 2017

Learn Tarot the fun way with Kitchen Table Tarot by Melissa Cynova

Kitchen Table Tarot book review

I am doing book reviews again!! We will start off with "Kitchen Table Tarot" by Melissa Cynova.

I have been reading cards off an on since I was 16. I have gone through numerous books about learning tarot in the past, and frankly it can be overwhelming. I wish that "Kitchen Table Tarot" had been available in the 80s, it would have saved me so much stress! In Kitchen Table Tarot, you feel like you are at your BFF's house or best next door neighbors house learning in a relaxed and fun way.  Ms. Cynova is very down to earth, direct and gets straight to point about learning, reading and working with your deck. You will also learn how to give readings and how to handle when readings go wrong (which they do!). I giggled through this because like Ms. Cynova I have also said in a reading "And now is the time I have to yell at you", in a loving way of course!

A lot of people are drawn to Tarot but then get very intimidated when they think they have to "memorize" long meanings about all 75 cards. Or that is is too "woo woo/hocuspocus" for them. Ms. Cynova doesn't do woo woo or get hocus pocus-y in this book, it is very down to earth and will appeal to most people. As far as memorization,  The truth is you do need some knowledge of those cards but that's why they have very descriptive images on the fronts of them. All those symbols are there so you can give a reading and remember reading the cards is 20% card meaning/80% intuition. 

"Kitchen Table Tarot" starts an intro on how the author got into Tarot, then chapter one getting started with a deck. Chapter 2 is all about keeping yourself and your cards energetically and physically clean. In Chapter 3, she gets into the ethics of readings. It's important to remember people come to you in various emotional states and you don't want to bluntly give sensitive information. The the book dives into the cards, their stories and meanings. Chapter Four is The Major Arcana and Chapter Five & Six are all about the Minor Arcana. Chapter Seven goes into detail about doing professional Tarot readings and chapter Eight is about "When Readings Go Weird". There are also exercises to get to know your cards, and how to practice to become a better reader. The is a list of book recommendations in the back as well. 

The only thing I would disagree with in this book is that she says "It's ok to carry around your tarot book and reference it during a reading". IMHO - I think that is ONLY ok to do that when you are practicing and learning. I  consider referencing a tarot book a huge NO NO when getting paid to get a reading. If you need the book to read, you aren't ready to call charge for your skills. Sorry, not sorry but that's just the way it is. Would you pay a plumber $100 an hour who has to pull out a book to fix a pipe? my guess is no, you want someone who knows what they are doing. Same goes for tarot. 

Overall though, this is a fun, informal book on learning the tarot and worth a read even for advanced card readers. If you'd like to get a copy for yourself, click here to go directly to Amazon and get a copy of your very own. 

Disclosure: I received a pdf of this book from NetGalley for my honest review, but I bought a hard copy as well  because I think it is a great book and a good edition to my library.

No comments: